Monday, January 7, 2008

Distaff Day

Distaff Day, also called Rock Day, is 7 January, the day after the feast of the Epiphany. It is also known as Saint Distaff's Day, since it was not really a holiday at all. In many European cultural traditions, women resumed their household work after the twelve days of Christmas. The distaff, or rock, used in spinning was the medieval symbol of women's work. Often the men and women would play pranks on each other during this day, as was written by Robert Herrick in his poem "Saint Distaffs day, or the Morrow After Twelfth Day" which appears in his Hesperides.




St. Distaff's Day; Or, the Morrow after Twelfth-day
Partly work and partly play.

You must on St. Distaffs Day
From the plough soon free your team;
Then cane home and fother them:
If the maids a-spinning go, Burn the flax and fire the tow.
Bring in pails of water then, Let the maids bewash the men.
Give St. Distaff' all the right
Then bid Christmas sport good night,
And next morrow every one To his own vocation.

Some modern craft groups have taken up the celebration of Distaff day as part of their new years celebration.

And that is just what this group of women did. We gathered for a day of spinning and what a wonderful time was had by all.


Me spinning. You got to hold your mouth just right.



















Darlene making that thang fly. You go girl!














Grace giving a lesson to Wendy. She was spinning like a pro before she left.















Elizabeth (the gracious hostess) opened her adorable house to nine crazy women. Thanks so much. It was great!

















Grace is an amaging spinner. I didn't get a picture of her in the sweater she knitted and was modeling when she arrived. Check out her blog to see it. I'm not worthy!




















Toni has become a fabulous spinner in just a few week. WOW!

















Carrie the famous Funky Caroline don't even look when she's spinning.














Bibby getting down with her bad self.














Check out that wheel speed by Jessi.

7 comments:

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

ABSOLUTELY....how you hold your mouth is directly proportional to the outcome of your yarn!! LOL!!!

GREAT post!!! I can't WAIT for the next Spin In!!!!!

wendy g said...

Cindy,
I had a great time meeting all of yesterday! Hope we will be able to do it again soon.

Bibby said...

OMG...............diet tomorrow!!! I owe you one Mater. Can't believe you posted that picture of me. I'm gonna slap the fool out of you with my Gee's Bend potholder the next time I see you!!! Hag..........LOL

Bubblesknits said...

heehee...she called you a hag. The Hag and her B*tches. ROTFL I can NOT wait till the next one!

Anonymous said...

Cindy, you are a hoot! Can't wait to do this again!

Tonni said...

LOL!!!! You crazy gals... ready for the next spin-in! Can you teach me how to hold my mouth?!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Looks like a lot of fun that I'm missing out on! But then, I don't know how to spin ... I just want to have fun, LOL.

BTW, you're my lucky winner, Cindy.