Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veterans Day Celebration - Hewitt Trussville Middle School

I'm especially proud of this veteran. This is my husband John Cole. He was one of the key note speakers at the Hewitt Trussville Middle School Anual Veterans Day Celebration on Friday. He served with the First Air Cavalry Division in Vietnam as an infantryman from January 1968 to December 1968. During his tour of duty in Vietnam he made over 50 combat air assaults and participated in five major campaigns. At the Battle of Hue his unit was awarded the "Presidential Unit Citation", the highest unit decoration awarded in the military, and was the subject of a book titled "The Lost Battalion". His awards and decorations include the Combat Infantryman's Badge, three Purple Hearts, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal, Army Commendation Medal with "V" device, vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Palm, Vietnam Service Medal with Silver Star and the Presidential Unit Citation.

He was asked to speak at this years celebration because our daughter did her "Interview a Veteran" paper last year in the 7th grade on her dad which included the book "The Lost Battalion".

5 comments:

Bibby said...

I have so much respect for all who have fought for our country & risked their lives for our freedom. Thank you John Cole, you truly are a hero!!!! I know how proud you & Annie must be of him....I am!!!

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

What an HONOR to be invited to be one of the key speakers!!!

I copy Bibby's sentiments completely!!!

Just one more reason why John is such a special person!!!!!

NH Knitting Mama said...

Thank you for posting this, and please extend my thanks for his service to our great country. I am so proud of our military.

Tonni said...

What an honor to have such a distinguished serviceman in your family! I know you are proud.

He should meet my Dad... who served 3 tours in Vietnam in the Army.

ginger said...

Wow I am so glad you posted this. So nice!